Oh no, they're back!
Anyone remember the ads in the back of comics? "The Amazing Live Sea Monkeys" with pictures of these little people type fish things in an underwater civilisation going about their daily business ( mainly looking weird). You sent off for them, what did you get?... tiny little swimming things that take a while before they become visible to the naked eye. And let's be clear, they, in no way, resemble the sea monkeys pictures, come to think of , why are they called sea monkeys! Their proper name is Artemia salina dontcha know, commonly called brine shrimp.
Well these crazy little critters are back, with loads of new places to live... Seamonkeys on the moon, sea monkeys - ghostly galleon, sea monkeys hang 10 (surf themed). And despite my harbouring (he he!) a grudge against them from they day i realised they weren't walking , talking friends, I've given them as presents to my nieces and nephews and they LOVE them, and, to be honest, I've sort of overcome my distrust of their shrimpish ways and grown rather attached to them.
Growing some live little fish dudes out of a packet is an intrinsically a cool thing. It also teaches the kids a bit of responsibility (God knows they need it, I blame the parents!)
At present the sea monkeys on mars are doing well, nearly 10 mm long and having a whale of a time. Honestly, I saw them making plans for an aqua rocket to get them back to sea monkey earth!
I have read online that feeding them mince (raw) makes them get a real growth spurt on. Possibly, they might end up as some mutant drain monkeys that will emerge from the lavvy thay were so unceremoiously deposited down to devour the former owner, who may well have moved up the pet owning ladder to a hamster by now!
Whilst I cannot condone feeding them raw mince, I'll let you know how i get on .

No comments:
Post a Comment